Wednesday, June 11, 2008

flying to manchester

where do i start?

i left my home around 6am on monday to take BART to SFO. once on the plane, the passengers were informed about a "mechanical error" and it would be fixed shortly. over two hours later, we leave SFO....which means...of course, that i missed my connection to manchester.

this is when it all began.

once i was at o'hare in chicago, the next few hours or so were spent on the phone with united customer service and waiting in line to see the in-person customer service rep. there were some issues at o'hare...apparently many flights were canceled or re-routed. because of this chaos, i ended up on a route that consisted of

  • chicago to boston (which would leave the next day)
  • boston to frankfurt
  • then finally, frankfurt to manchester
please note, that i asked for a multitude of alternative routes that would have been less complicated. yet, alas i was denied. of course, after two hours of standing in line to see the in-person united agent as i wanted to arrange getting my checked-in bag.....i was told that they wouldn't release it. i thought it was a bit odd when they asked me to provide a description of my bag. yet at this point, i was so tired and it was after 9pm.

so before i boarded the tuesday morning "chicago to boston" flight, i asked the united agent at the gate...."can you check to see if you have my bag?". what can i say? i was feeling a bit suspicious at why they wouldn't release my bag the evening before. the gate agent said that they had a record of my bag. then, in ignorant bliss, i started on my mini-tour of 5 airports.

many many many hours later.....it was now wednesday afternoon in the UK and i was waiting at the manchester airport baggage claim. sure enough, no bag. i wasn't really surprised. i went to the "global baggage solution" kiosk and it seems that they couldn't find a record of my bag anywhere.

fun times. fun times.

so let's just review the situation shall we?

over the past few days...i've officially started a new job (but didn't get there on time), had barely any sleep because i'm traveling to an unbearable amount of airports, have no clothes outside of the ones i have been wearing for the past 3+ days, and once i reach my final destination....i find that the airline has no idea where my bag is.

what a way to create an impression at a new job, eh?

i had been nursing scharffen berger chocolate to help me get through this whole ordeal. but alas, i've discovered that there are some things that not even chocolate can make better.

No comments: