Wednesday, May 6, 2009

how things change

i had originally planned to head over to kim huong today for a bowl of bun bo hue...yet, much to my dismay, i didn't realize until i got there it looked like kim huong was closed for the day. i knew that i wanted to get some vietnamese food in my tummy before i head out to the uk on sunday, so i decided to pop into banh cuon tay ho. it has been quite a while since i have been here and i was mentally preparing myself for the dirty factor. yet alas, when i walked in i noticed a few things....like they upgraded the place.


it is also relatively clean. this was a pleasant surprise. then, naturally, i was immediately suspicious....would the banh cuon still be good? after i ordered the banh cuon dat biet tay ho (basically the house special with a little bit of everything), i settled in and wrote in my journal about hanging out with the heart sister last night and seeing wicked.


it seemed appropriate that i was writing quite a bit about how things change. one of the things that i discussed with the heart sister last night was how i am in a place where i can talk and remember the good times between B and i......and how i can remember those times without hurt and sadness. i am able to remember those good moments with fondness. my oh my how things can change. i still have no desire for him to be a part of my current life and think it is kinda funny (in a sad way) that i don't miss him or the life i had with him. yet...i can finally appreciate why i decided to be with him. the heart sister was one of the loved ones that actually liked B....and she mentioned last night how when B and i got together those many years ago...she was glad that i had found someone that "was really into you...and he really was.... in the beginning. then somewhere along the way, things changed and you became a prize to be won or something." it did make me feel a bit less foolish hearing her perspective. over the past couple of years, i had been quite hard on myself re: B and i. it has been quite the learning process. i also think my stubbornness can be quite the double-edged sword at times....i have a feeling that we would still be married if B hadn't done what he did....and i would be unhappily married trying to "work things out"....because, i really believed that i had made a promise to be committed to that relationship. i take promises very seriously. in an odd way, i should thank B for providing the circumstances to set me free. i don't know if he thought about me at all when he decided to not be committed to the marriage anymore....but i have to admit that i definitely made a better life for myself. i have been quite content for the past year or so. finally.

quite a lot of deep thoughts for my day off huh? thankfully, my banh cuon arrived and i was able to refocus my thoughts on the lovely plate of food in front of me. i noticed right away that the banh cuon looked different....not bad....just more like thin tubes rather than fat rectangles.....



i also noticed that there were no longer large jugs of the nuoc mam based sauce...but rather it was in vinegar bottles.....a nice touch actually....



i did my obligatory mixing of banh cuon and veggies....and then poured the mix of the nuoc mam based sauce and garlic chili paste on top....


as i took a few bites, i realized that wasn't all that was different. the rice crepes/sheets were tender and delicate...in a very good way. it seems that they've upgraded some of their techniques as well. also both the shredded sweet potato shrimp fritter and the mung bean shrimp fritter (the thing that looks like pieces of a muffin) were very tasty.


my how things can change for the better. isn't it interesting how we stumble upon external experiences that underscore what is going on internally? maybe the universe is trying to tell me a few things....and mayhap...i should listen. i think this place is at a point where i can actually bring people..... how cool is that?

Banh Cuon Tay Ho Restaurant: 344 12th Street #B, Oakland, CA, 94607, +1 510 836 6388

2 comments:

Su-Lin said...

What an exciting looking plate of goodies! I wonder if I can find something similar here...

foodie hunter said...

That would be great if you could find something similar...

I bet you could. London seems to offer quite the variety!!