Monday, August 3, 2009

the scurrying foodie hunter in roma

location: rome, italy
time: around 10pm

well, it took me a bit longer than i expected to get here. yet i am finally in rome.

as a result of the various delays, i wasn't able to walk around and do any exploring that far away from my hotel. i typically don't go wandering around after dark my first night in a country i am not familiar with. i find it is too easy to lose my bearings. so i kept pretty close to my hotel area when i walked around looking for something to eat. i had read about obika in my lonely planet guide and thought that a mozzarella bar sounded kind of interesting. it was also pretty close to my hotel which was also a benefit. i also experienced first hand what it meant to take your life into your own hands walking the stone streets of roma.

wow. really. wow. i think this is something one has to experience for themselves to truly appreciate.

anyway, when i arrived at obika,


i realized right away that i was so not feeling hip enough to be there. everyone was very helpful and well, there were some pretty hawt guys that worked there. i was feeling quite grubby as i had basically dumped my stuff in my room and set off as i was pretty hungry and wanted to grab some "takeaway" before it got too late. while i perused the menu that one of the hawt guys produced for me, i realized that someone was standing in front of me and when i looked up, there was another one. except this one smiled at me at me quite indulgently. i think that is the best way to describe it. i am not certain how else to describe it. it wasn't slimy or anything like that, but it was enough for me to put my head back down to my menu and scurry off to another part of the restaurant with my takeaway menu.

so much for being the worldly sophisticated foodie hunter huh?

not.

anyway, i decided to take matters into my own hands and directly approached one of the women that work there to take my order. she took care of me (thank gawd). she was super friendly as she patiently sat through my combo of horrible italian and pointing while trying to get my point across. it was quite a relief.

when i got back to my hotel room, i dove right into salad that consisted of tuna, caper berries, sun dried tomatoes, olives, and fresh mozzarella di bufala. it was supremely yummy.

sigh. i can't wait until tomorrow morning.....i don't know what i am going to do yet, but i have a feeling it will feel wonderful.

now, i think i'm going to cuddle in my bed and read a book.

nite nite.

me


obika, piazza di firenze - angolo via dei prefetti, roma, italy, tel. 06 6832630, www.obika.it

No comments: