Thursday, January 21, 2010

hot soup on a stormy day

i am back at home. thankfully, my flight home wasn't re-routed because of the storms hitting the bay area right now. the storms have been causing a bit of havoc within california. the ride was bumpier than usual, but i am glad that i made it safe and sound. i was talking to DH today and he asked me how the trip home went. i told him that my new benchmark for a successful trip means getting where i want to go safely. this is very true.

after my meeting with DH today, i decided to step out into the rain and grab some steaming hot soup from a local japanese place (that happens to be purely vegetarian and i think vegan as well). i don't think of it as a "vegan" place or "vegetarian" place. i just think of it as a place that does good food. one of the dishes that i particularly enjoy is a mushroom melody soup that i order with soba noodles.

this is pretty much my favorite dish that i've had here thus far and it was perfect for a stormy day. i love the heartiness of the broth and the noodles.


i've also been known for adding a bit of the chili mixture to this soup as well....

because, why not? but the soup tastes quite lovely without it.

i know i've said this before.....and i doubt that this will be the last time i say this....but i do adore soup....particularly noodle soup. it is one of the ultimate comfort dishes for me. it is care within a bowl. i find that it is sustenance for all aspects of me.

it also made me realize once more just how fortunate i am to live where i live...you know....being able to have extremely easy access to food like this....as well as having enough income to be able to afford to purchase food like this for myself. it is a position of privilege. yes, i work extremely hard to inhabit where i am in my life today....yet having ready access to this sort of food is a privilege that many do not have. there are many people that work extremely hard but still are not able to afford or have access to quality foods. this is something i think about quite a bit actually....about how where i live and my current income level allows me to have access to some pretty amazing food.....and how unfortunately, access and being able to purchase quality food is a "privilege" rather than a basic human right. it makes me sad. because shouldn't it be a basic right? shouldn't we be entitled to have the expectation of access to quality food?

just a few things i've been thinking about. can you tell i've been reading pollan?

i doubt that these are the last words from me on this subject. just a fyi.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Is that soup from Cha-Ya? I have serious cravings for that place sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean about access to quality food. I feel privileged everyday to eat the way that I do.

I'm glad you made it home safely:)

foodie hunter said...

yup, the soup is from cha-ya! i do love this soup quite a bit. i'm glad that i made it home safely as well and it will be good to see you soon!