Saturday, October 23, 2010

back again.....


sometimes when i revisit certain places, it reminds me of how much things have changed....or how much i have changed. sometimes it leaves me with a sense of bittersweet reminiscence and sometimes, it also reminds me that change allows one (or me) to grow toward different paths that i may not have envisioned or even dreamed of before. i definitely had one of these sort of moments this afternoon during a visit to oakland today. a loved one's friend is visiting from the ATL and he wanted to take her to kim huong in oakland for pho and asked me if i wanted to come along. he has only had the pho once there....and well over a year ago.... but he's a rather huge fan of it. i have a feeling he asked me if i wanted to come along because he knows that kim huong is one of the only places that i can find bun bo hue made the way i like it.

since i have moved to the city, i've been trying to scour the city for different vietnamese food options. i've pretty much settled into OTD on bush as my "go to" place for my comfort but i still haven't found a place for bun bo hue....and i'm actively still looking. i remember when this loved one asked me a few months ago how come i haven't been back to kim huong and i said it is because i've been trying to actively settle.....and find my bearings in the city.

i'm not gonna lie, it felt a bit funny to walk into kim huong after not having been in ages and ages. one of the owners recognized me and then gave me a big hug. it was unexpected but it was also really nice and very natural. after we settled into a table, we put in our order. i ordered the bun bo hue......


the loved one ordered the pho with the meatballs and the loved one's friend ordered the pho tai.

we were are all pretty happy with our choices.

kim huong, 304 10th Street (between Harrison St & Webster St), oakland, ca 94607, (510) 836-3139,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got a friend who grew up in Hue who always orders the Bun Bo Hue at Yummy Yummy.